Tuesday, January 15, 2008

When I Grow Up...

Lately I've taken the initiative to really think about what path I want to take with my studies, once I return to America, and explore a few career options. I am, of course, set on completing my undergraduate degree in either Middle Eastern Studies or History, the former being most preferable. As I register for classes this upcoming fall semester, I will be considering which classes will benefit me most for the path I want to take, not to mention the internships that will be available to me.

I am realizing to what extent my choices could limit or broaden my opportunities in life, and how fast the time for me to choose a career path is racing toward me. I observe Alex, the jobs and internships he has taken on, and how his life is evolving now, and I can literally see the path ahead of him, not the end result, but the direction he is going is very clear. I can see, almost like sitting through the whole construction of a ten-story building, how he directs his energies and builds upon his strengths to get to his dreams - a stable job and a family. It's fun to observe, but it makes me realize that I'm only two years behind him and want the same things. Isn't it time for me to start directing my life in such a way?

I will finish my undergraduate degree in approximately two and a half years, if all goes well. Then what? In one of my last posts I think I mentioned that I am considering going to Law School or getting masters in psychology. Both seem practical and enoyable to me, and both open up doors to a very successful career. To be completely honest with myself, every day I find myself wondering what I could do with a psychology major. It is a field I have always been interested in, and find the study of it to be more useful than many other subjects I have invested time in. Actually I considered it as my undergraduate degree.

I realize that now is not the time to limit myself in any way, and I am not looking to put all of my efforts toward one spontaneous idea. In reality time is on my side right now, and I do not have to settle down for a while. Time just seems to go by so fast, and I know that if I do not think about it at all, I will find myself two years from now wondering how I'm going to apply my studies to real life.

0 Comments: