Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year Resolutions

Everyone hates New Year Resolutions. It is fun to think about them and coming up with creative ones, but they are so despised because it is so hard to keep them. So unless you are one of the lucky ones with enough motivation to see it out, they just make you feel bad in the end.

I think I may have a solution to the problem. Instead of just doing one for one year, I’m going to create a rolling list of New Years Resolutions. I have many for this year and if I don’t get around to it then it will go on my list for next year. But I have to accomplish at least one a year. I can begin or work on as many as I want at a time, but one has to be completed before the year is out. I can add to my list when I want, but I can’t remove any unless it is for a very good reason. This way, as long as I am continually working toward something and accomplishing little goals, I will not feel bad about failing at one big one.

This may seem like a cop out, but I actually have some very good small goals I want to address. They include:

1. Stop biting my nails so they can be naturally long and feminine-looking.
2. Broaden my knowledge of music
3. Read more books a month, fiction and non-fiction
4. Take ballroom dance classes
5. Begin the study of another language
6. Learn more about the use of make-up
7. No binge-drinking, at most one or two glasses of wine during a day.
8. Blog more
9. Learn 10 new recipes
10. Waste less food
11. NO SODA
12. Try to keep lids with their bottle (Alex’s request)
13. Reeducate myself with sign language
14. Wear less frumpy-mom clothes, like my Michigan sweatshirt

So they are all legit things to put on my agenda, and I don’t think I will complete them all. But even if I do five of them I keep them rolling for next year. And now if I ever have some free time during a week I have something I can be doing instead of renting movies and napping all day.

If anyone has any creative New Years Resolutions for this year I would love to hear them! Please leave a comment below and share this year’s resolution!

0 Comments: