Thursday, May 8, 2008

Final Boarding Call for Terminal 18

In one of my previous posts I added a little commentary about an interview I had for an internship position in Washington DC, and said that I would not name the organization so as to not jinx my chances. Well, it worked! I was accepted as a summer intern at International Peace Operations Association!

In other news, Alex and I are flying out tomorrow morning at 7 for Italy. We will be spending a day or two there before taking a ferry from Venice to Croatia...I think I detailed this in another previous post so I won't bore you with all the details again.

Since we are backpacking through various parts of Europe, I will not have many chances to blog, etc. I will try my best to keep everyone updated and detail some of our adventures. Don't worry, I will give a complete update once we are stateside.

Speaking of returning to the states, Alex and I will have to get our butts down to DC basically as soon as we land on American soil. I do not know how much time we will have to visit, or what areas we will hit. But we have plans to travel back up to New Jersey for the two weekends after we get back and visit Missouri for the 4th of July holiday. Will give more details in the coming month.

Now you have basic idea of what's going on for the next month, let me tell you about the last week. My friend and Alex's editor, Matthias, visited us this last week from Beirut. We were both really excited since it was the first time in a long time that we hosted anyone. And we couldn't have asked for better weather or a better way to spend our time.

We spent the first couple of days in Fez. Alex and Matthias had a few necessary meetings, etc, but a lot of time was spent on exploring the area. I took Matthias down to the old medina to do a bit of shopping and we exploited Fez like pros. The best part was Matthias' choice of restaurants. I had the best meals in Morocco during his visit.

This trend continued when we bussed it up to Chefchaoun. It being my favorite Moroccan city, I had to take him there. We spent a couple relaxing days there, ate great food, bought cheap textiles and ventured in and out of Chefchaoun's sites. I must say that during our shopping escapades, Matthias and I mastered the bartering system with a game we like to call "good cop, bad cop". It's pretty self-explanatory, and really works.

Our last stop together was Rabat. Of course we ate amazing food and just had fun exploring the medina. We also visited the Kasbah, and the gardens of Rabat. It was definitely worth the trip.

Matthias is finishing up his trip in Marrakech, and so you will have to find out from him how his Moroccan adventure ended! I do know that he is returning to Beirut a couple carpets and textiles richer!

As for Alex and I, we are in Casablanca just waiting to board our flight. We went to see the Hassan II Mosque, which is the biggest in Africa. It was one of the most majestic buildings I have ever seen. The outside is just as decorative and intricate as the inside. Walking around the mosque at sundown is definitely the best time of day.

Right now I am going to recharge with a pain au chocolate. Get ready Eastern Europe, here we come!

0 Comments: