Thursday, January 24, 2008

Here's To One Year, Baby

One year ago I had something of an identity crisis. I just officially ended it with my long-time, on-and-off-again boyfriend, was unhappy with the major I had chosen as a senior in high school and didn't know exactly what I was going to do about it all.

I always thought of myself as an "independent" student and woman. I wasn't living at home, was putting myself through college, had a couple of jobs, could provide for myself (most of the time) and was my own person. But after going through a bit of a rough period I wanted to redefine independent. I thought being more successful, in relationships as well as other aspects of my life, meant being self-serving, ultra-casual and detached.

My life was back on track - I was having fun even if I didn't exactly know what I was doing after that semester. I thought about taking a semester off, before transferring to who knows where. I had some ideas, and it was a start.

The force that hit me was totally unexpected. I never saw it coming. Definitely not in the form of a slightly pompous, tan-suit wearing, I-just-graduated, unemployed guy. The last thing I wanted was to complicate my new beginnings with another boyfriend. But this guy made sure I had to put up a fight...and I lost.

The first time we met, he criticized my news sources. That was Tuesday. The second time we hung out he wanted to know if I "pawwed, clawed or took my own" tick-tacks when offered. On Thursday he asked if I was free for a first day the next night. I was flattered!

I should've known the first date he was going to be bad news for me. All he wanted to do was talk...I mean what kind of guy was he? He never made a move, he was intelligent, smart, not awkward, and liked to have fun. More than I could've ever asked for.

The rest is history. We have only spent two days apart since then, so you can imagine that we hit it off pretty well. And now we are getting ready to celebrate our one year anniversary this Saturday. And we have managed to do some pretty unbelieveable stuff in a mere 12 months.

After two months he asked me to accompany him to Lebanon. It was a bit unexpected but it wasn't contrary to the goals I had set for myself. It was more of a chance of a lifetime than a sacrifice. So we worked hard, saved all the money we could, and prepared to travel the Middle East.

My previous blog entries have detailed our trip thus far, so I needn't go into the details of the trip other than it has been a wonderful experience. This blog is about Alex and all the things he has done for me over the past year.

If you talk to him he will tell you that I am the one carrying the weight of the relationship. He brings home the bacon, and I am the one making a home - cooking, cleaning, and contributing in every way that I can. Rarely will he toot his own horn, so I'm going to do it.

My fiance is a great provider, in more ways than one. True, he doesn't cook much, but he really tries to do some of the meals and he always cleans up afterward. He always makes sure we are eating on a clean table and that the room looks nice. True, he likes to save all the money he can almost to the point of being stingy, but he spends so much money on making sure that we travel and really enjoy ourselves. He makes sure that I have everything I need, and more. He is a gracious human being, and doesn't give a second thought to picking up the tab for friends, or getting a nice gift for the ones we care about.

Although i don't like to show it sometimes, just so I keep getting spoiled, he is really considerate of my goals and desires. He is caring, thoughtful, and he loves me so much. This year I have felt so alive. He has helped me think through my concerns, and I know where I want to go in life. And much more, he is respectful of my personal goals. I have retained my independency while being in a healthy relationship. Anything I desire or want to accomplish with my life is something Alex takes personally, and makes sure I have the opportunity to act on it.

So, Alex, here's to us on our one year. You have made me so happy, and I am looking forward to the next year. We are starting to build a life together. We both want good jobs, a nice family, nice things, and just to be happy. I know you will give me all those things and more. Your mother is so proud of you, and your family loves you so much, and I know why. It's not hard to see - you are truly one of the world's finest. Now we just have to work on your etiquette with service drivers. I love you so much. Here's to one year, baby.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa, What can I say, you were right about everything. Just kidding. It certainly was flattering and you did trace our first week together perfectly. I am so proud of how you and how we have developed over the past year. I can't wait to see how the rest of our years go. I'm looking forward to them. I love you, Alex.