Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Written in September, Posted for Memory

Am I feeling a bit sentimental? I am definitely feeling a bit lost in nostalgia. Perhaps it's the chamomile tea I'm sipping on, the Beatles-Elton-Sinatra-McGraw compilation I'm listening to or the overall feeling of relaxation coming over me as I lounge out on our balcony. Regardless, I've taken a break from studying and relapsed into the old me.

I'm surprised that I haven't gone through some life-changing transition. Take away all the experiences I can now put on my resume and nothing has changed. I'm unsure of what I expected to happen but it is a comfort knowing my "self" is tried and true.

Of course my politics are always adapting as I become more educated. Yets it's also comforting that I do not change when my politics do. Then again, ideas as abstract as politics have never meant much to me. Experiencing life in another country and being happy with my choices, that is meaningful.

No word less than awesome can describe the fact that I was able to travel across the world to live and not sacrifice the things I've kept over the years.

Alex and I were discussing culture the past few days. We mainly focused on the differences between countries labeled "highly developed" and their cultures and those "lesser developed". We didn't come to any conclusions, but we remarked on the simplicity of continuing our daily rountines in a foreign place.

I love learning about the culture in Lebanon - finding out what the younger and older gernerations do, tasting the food, listening to the music, observing tradtions. But the simplicity of turning on iTunes and listening to music that I grew up with and feeling completely at home, really gets me.

If I did not have all the conveniences, would I have completely changes my preferences due to limited choice? Who knows. It's easy for me to say yes as I continue to listen to John Denver - but I don't have to make a choice. I have to exist in another culture, but Lebanon is nowhere near forcing me to accept all of its peculiarities.

Again, I am amazed at how easy it was for us to settle down comfortably. And that I can be myself and indulge in music, food, etc that I love.

Not to say that I am not participating or exposing myself to aspects of Lebanese culture. It is just great that I can add those things to my preferences.

Anyway, its bedtime. As the younger generation of Beirut is beginning their night, I'm off to bed to get my required 7 hours of sleep. Until next time...

0 Comments: