Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Green

Heavily-industrialized and overwhelmingly populated, Beirut should have a comprehensive and well-equipped recycling center. All the reconstruction projects and aims to make Lebanon more attractive would lead one to believe organizations exist to take more care of the area. Yet, other than the hired trash collectors on Rue Hamra, there are no signs of initiative to clean up the highways and beaches.

Souk el-Tayeb, the kitchen workshop/open market-place I took Alex to for his birthday, is making an inspirational move to motivate others to take trash to recycling centers. It is one great move in the right direction. Their organic marketplace is small, yet surely growing over time, and is showing that buying from organic farmers is only slightly more expensive, if at all.

Furthermore, the directors put out pamphlets (made out of recycled paper) detailing who sells at the marketplace and how they are trying to be eco-friendly. Any buyer had the opportunity to bring their own bag to shop with or buy a bag made out of organic materials so to not waste plastic and paper bags.

This month’s Souk el-Tayeb newsletter focuses on recycling initiatives. Unlike many Americans, who enjoy free or low-fee recycling, Beirutis do not have the incentive to partake in such programs. Currently two universities have published work on their recycling program, and five companies boast their recycling incentives.

Lacking a central recycling organization makes it costly and inefficient for the average individual. Although gas is cheap in Lebanon, facing traffic or having to pay a cab fee (if the taxi driver knows where one of the few recycling centers are) can make the trip time-consuming and costly.
Recycling in America, and other developed countries, are standard. An organization promoting recycling awareness is not considered particularly moving or revolutionary; it is just considered part of the “green” movement. In Lebanon, however, such a movement is inspiring.

Although Lebanon is considered one of the most advanced Middle Eastern states, she is not at the same level of development as some countries with advanced recycling initiatives. The effort put forth by the handful of universities and businesses is, with luck, the beginning of a national trend. As Lebanon comes closer to political and infrastructural stability, perhaps the country will be increasingly green.

So for my news! First, Alex and I have befriended another American! Greg, from Pennsylvania, is a Political Science grad student. On Monday night we all went to an American-style diner (meaning they serve breakfast 24/7) and had our biggest meal since being here. It was absolutely refreshing!

Just as exciting is my trip to the laundry-mat. I was finally able to get some of my clothes washed in an actual washing and drying machine! I’m not sure if I can relay the significance of this via my blog…but it was a huge deal! I felt 1,000 times better after getting my clothes cleaned.

So, biggest news of all! I had an interview today, which I spent the last couple of days briefing and studying for. Monday I will be starting as copy editor of The Middle East Reporter. I saw a posting on AUB campus for a “Native English speaker with an interest in Middle Eastern politics.” I also have an opportunity to train for journalism. It is only a few hours in the mornings and I’m exhilarated for the experience.

If you want to check out their website, it is:
http://www.middleeastreporter.com/

Well, I’m off to the beach with Alex and Greg! Hope to hear from everyone soon!

1 Comment:

Chris Isaacs said...

Melissa,

Congrats on the job interview and subsquent job. It sounds like a great opportunity. I really enjoy reading about your travels. I do it every Wednesday evening. I never really knew you were a great storyteller. I am impressed with your stories and observations. I look forward to reading more.

-Chris Isaacs